Monday, October 10, 2011

My heart's voice- RIP Jagjit Singh

Once upon a time,not too long ago there were no CDs to play,no mutual friends on Facebook and no cellphones to call.In that era love had a synonym- Jagjit singh's voice.
Whether it was the romeo in the lane playing,'kal chaudhvin ki raat thi' ,to impress the hottie next door,or it was the shy girl sending a message to a geek classmate -"jhuki jhuki si nazar",Jagjit was the voice of love sans class or gender.
Jagjit brought the unintiated ones like me closer to Urdu poetry and the fine art of ghazals and Nazms.There was a must -be phase for every young heart then,to hum Jagjit's ghazals in parties and when alone,to seek respite in their melodious longing of love or to despair in the soulful agony of unfulfilled ambition.
Whether it was 'na umr ki seema ho ,na janm ka ho bandhan'-type serious love or it was just or 'hosh walon ko khabar kya' -type rebelious teenage outburst ,there was a melody for all moods in his repertoire.
The connect at times was so strong that so many of us felt that when he sang,'woh ek din ek ajnabi ko meri kahani suna raha tha'.
Along with Ghalib ,Gulzaar saab,Sahir and Harivansh Rai Bachchan on my bookshelf there is a sacred corner for Jagjit's cassettes .They will always be special because they hold a big slice of my youth in his majestic voice.They hold the key to my dreams as a teenager,my notion of first love,my first foray into writing poetry myself.
An era ends today but the legend and the voice will live forever.For me and I'm sure many others he will always be the heart's voice.

shehed jeene ka mila karta hai thoda thoda
jaane waalon ke liye dil nahin toda karte

Orange Flower Awards

@IAmSufiZen

COMPANIONS CALLED BOOKS

To Kill a Mockingbird
The Catcher in the Rye
Animal Farm
The Alchemist
One Hundred Years of Solitude
Romeo and Juliet
Frankenstein
The Odyssey
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Count of Monte Cristo
Eat, Pray, Love
Lolita
The Da Vinci Code
The Kite Runner
The Silence of the Lambs
The Diary of a Young Girl
Pride and Prejudice
Jane Eyre
The Notebook
Gone With the Wind
}

I WILL RING THE BELL.WILL YOU?

The Human Bean Cafe, Ontario

The Human Bean Cafe, Ontario
my work on display there !!!!!